Favorite Veggie?

Monday, September 27, 2010

Fat

Trans fat may be monounsaturated or polyunsaturated, but never saturated. They are fat molecules containing one or more double bonds between the carbon atoms, since the carbons are more closely connected, there are less hydrogens. So what does this mean for you? 1, it's no longer natural and therefor no longer desirable, but is it dangerous? They are no longer essential fats and actually increase the risk of coronary disease. That's NOT what you want. I cannot stress enough how important it is to read the side of your packaged items. You simply won't find hydrogentaed oils in natural foods, fruit, veggies, whole grains, eggs, etc. They don't exist naturally, they were created to make things last longer on the shelf, so what does that mean for what it does to your body? Gross. I always advice people to buy on the perimeter of the store and they will have a healthier diet. The meat, produce and dairy are on the perimeter, so is the bakery and cakes, so be careful! Pastries using shortening now have hydrogenated oil! Read the side of your breads, those labeled Whole Wheat may also have High fructose Corn Syrup and Hydrogenated oils, you need to make sure you are getting what you pay for. I have found plenty of breads with neither,, but way fewer than with! 2 of the breads I found are not as expensive as the others either! That's exciting, right! One is at Sam's club and the other is at Winco, I'm not going to tell you which, you have to read for yourselves, but I will tell you they are under 2 dollars a loaf! This is where I do go the organic route, but some balk at the price difference. It is less expensive to go organic than mainstream IF you don't buy packaged! You can live a completely organic life with no packaged food, but your choices are more limited and it will tak emore time, you'll have to make all your own breads and pasta, I have four kids, a job and a wonderful husband,, this is not happening for me! Therefor, I buy these things organic or make sure they don't have the hydrogentaed oils or High Fructose Corn Syrup. So my challenge for you now is to read up! it will take some time at first and you may have to say no to some certain childhood favorites, but there are options out there that will improve your children's health and lower their risk of heart disease! Yeah Mom! So start reading the labels and know what is going in your kids mouth and the risks involved. Personally, with how much food my 7 year old eats, she would be at risk of a major heart attack if I didn't keep the unsaturated fats away from her! You may never buy Kraft MAc and Cheese again, but Annie's a nd Trader Joes have become the staple at our house. You may have to buy natureal PB (NOT JIF NATURAL OR SKIPPY, they add palm oil, the ingredients should read Peanuts, maybe a little salt) my favorite is fresh ground, but my favorite jarred is Laura Scudders. Again, let me stress the importance of making small changes to change you life, this is a journey and you don't want your kids to associate "The Day Mom took all the good food out" with eating healthy, sneak it in in increments! If they have crackers with hydrogentaed oils in their lunch with their lean meats and cheese, your still making progress! Be roud of every step you take, everytime you add half the oil a recipe calls for and your chocolate cookies are just as good, or when you leave out the white sugar completely and use honey instead. These are the perfect little people knit together in your womb, or for some of us, God grew them in someone else's just for us, but they are fearfully and wonderfully made and still our responcibilty to make sure they are growing with the best nutrition possible! There is nothing I love more than God, my Husband, and my kids, I know you all must feel the same way otherwise you would press delete and never think of this again, so thanks for joining this journey with me to better health!

No comments:

Post a Comment