Favorite Veggie?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Super sorry!

I know it has been a long time, but school got the best of me! 3-4 lunches a day is a lot of work, but I am proud to say that we are nearing the end of week 4 and no two lunches have been the same! Yeah Trader Joe's and Costco for having lots of healthy varieties! Now don't get me wrong, there have been similarities to things, pitas and mini bagels, but always with different ingredients, and different sides! The crunchy. fruit, veggie, and main dish base has been the same, but some days my girls are the only ones in their school with tomato, cucumber and feta salad! Other days they stand out with my favorite treat, the mini muffin pan, greatest invention ever! I make about a hundred (literally) mini muffins every other week. After going through the recipe and replacing the fat (butter or oil) with applesauce or yogurt, and slicing the sugar in half and changing it to honey or brown sugar, and using only whole wheat flour, i further expand the benefits by putting it in a mini muffin pan. A standard pan uses 1/3 cup for a muffin, and the minis use a Tablespoon. That's a little more than five minis to one standard. I will tell you that even my bottomless carnivore (who had a competition with her thirty something aunt this weekend and ate an entire chicken leg and a bowl of homemade baked beans. It was over a pound of meat alone, and she had ice cream, I'm telling you, we've heard "I'm full" twice!) is satisfied with two in her lunchbox. So, totally healthified and still fun! Yeah! Now that my granola pear muffins are gone, there are pumpkin chocolate chip in the oven. Oh yeah, even that I used 1/2 a cup of the mini chocolate chips and they spread out better in the batter! So treat yourself to a mini muffin pan and get creative with your muffins. I find the cutest and prettiest mini muffin papers all over the place and they aren't expensive! So have fun slashing calories and saving yourself the money on "100 calorie packs" make your own! (That is the topic of my next post!)

1 comment:

  1. Beth, you can try Lighter Bake made by Sunsweet as a butter/oil replacement as well. It's pureed plums and makes for really moist sweet breads and muffins.

    ReplyDelete